Hypnotherapy is a secret weapon for many highly successful people who want and need to be at the top of their game. Celebrities, entrepreneurs and executives use a variety of tools to stay focused, to get ahead and to combat fears or phobias and hypnotherapy is often at the top of the list.
Hypnosis is also used to great effect to enhance sports and academic performance having both therapeutic and performance-enhancing functions. The mental state of athletes during training and competition impacts performance and is widely used by athletes, coaches and psychologists.
Hypnotherapy is rapidly becoming mainstream for the majority of society today as they are made more aware of the success stories.
Here are just a few of the celebrities known to have used hypnotherapy:
To lose weight:
- Lily Allen
- Sarah Ferguson Duchess of York
- Sophie Dahl
- Geri Halliwell
- Orlando Bloom’s mother called in a hypnotist to deal with the addiction to chocolate he had as a child.
- Fergie (Black Eyed Peas) has a hypnotherapist close when she’s touring
To stop smoking:
- Matt Damon (said “Using hypnosis was one of the greatest decisions of my life!”)
- Billy Joel
- Drew Barrymore
- Britney Spears
- Ellen Degeneres
- Ashton Kutcher
- Charlize Theron
- Ben Affleck
- Aaron Eckhart (actor) credits hypnosis for changing his life forever after being able to give up smoking and alcohol
- Samuel L. Jackson
- Winona Ryder
- Simon Cowell
- Katy Perry
- Billy Joel
For success and personal improvement:
- Ashton Kutcher has used hypnosis for various purposes. At the beginning of his career, he used hypnotism to help him to visualise himself like a successful actor.
- Sylvester Stallone has hypnotic inductions with the famous hypnotherapist Gil Boyne while filming Rocky in 1975.He used self-hypnosis to help write the script for “Rocky”. He then used hypnosis on a daily basis to overcome the more than 900 rejections for his script. During each day of filming “Rocky” he used hypnosis tapes. Eventually “Rocky” became an overnight success.
To overcome a fear of Public Speaking:
- Princess Diana used hypnosis for public speaking and confidence.
- Bruce Willis used hypnosis to overcome stuttering.
- James Earl Jones(actor and voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars and Mufasa Lion King used hypnosis to overcome stuttering.
- Princess Diana is said to have used hypnosis to improve her confidence
To stop bad habits and overcome fears and phobias:
- Sarah Ferguson used hypnosis to stop biting her fingernails
- Tony Curtis used hypnosis to overcome his fear of flying and to improve his career.
- Kevin Costner flew his personal hypnotist to Hawaii to help him combat his seasickness while filming “Water world.”
- Jackie Kennedy Onassis used hypnotherapy to reduce depression and anxiety
- Demi Moore used hypnosis to forget her love for Ashton Kutcher
The reduction of pain during labour – Hypnobirthing
- Jessica Alba
- Kate Middleton
To improve sports performance:
- David Beckham is said to have consulted a hypnotherapist to help him to confront some of his personal issues
- Andre Agassi worked with Anthony Robbins, Utilizing NLP and Hypnosis.
- Steve Hooker (Pole Vaulting) won the 2008 Gold Medal after using hypnosis to visualise his success.
- Mary Lou Retton (Gymnastics) used hypnosis to block pain in her foot and won the Gold Medal for Gymnastics.
- The Chicago White Sox hired a full-time Hypnotist in 1983 and made the playoffs.
- Tiger Woods began seeing a hypnotist at the age of 13 to help him to block out distractions and focus on the game
- Pat Cash
- Jack Nicklaus attributes his success in golf to hypnosis and visualisation techniques
- Frank Bruno is said to have used hypnosis before beating Mohammed Ali.
- Players from many basket teams such as the New York Mets, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Minnesota Twins used hypnosis to improve their performance and manage pain and injury.
- Phil Jackson coach of the Chicago Bulls and LA Lakers used hypnosis on his basketball teams including individual players such as Shaquille O’Neal, Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant
- Abbey Clancy used hypnosis to overcome crippling nerves during her performances on Strictly Come Dancing
Influencers of History
- Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud(founding fathers of modern psychiatry)
- Mozart (1756-1791) it is believed he composed the famous opera “Cosy fan tote” while hypnotized.
- Albert Einstein(1879-1955) physicist – had his hypnosis sessions every afternoon. It is believed that the theory of relativity came to him during one of these hypnosis sessions. He also used the hypnotic trance states to develop his ideas.
- Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809-1892) wrote complete poems while hypnotized.
- Thomas Edison(inventor of light bulb) used self-hypnosis on a daily basis
- Aldous Huxley(writer/ thinker) used trance-like states to explore the states and nature of Consciousness.
- Winston Churchill used hypnosis suggestions in order to stay awake during the nights of WWII.
Hypnotherapy is not a stage performance – hypnotherapy is the use of hypnosis with a therapeutic end point. Regardless of your occupation, vocation, age or gender, hypnotherapy is a vital tool to restore balance and maintain focus in your life.
Gail Marra D.Hyp MNCH (Acc) LAPHP is a GHR registered Clinical Hypnotherapist accredited by the National Council for Hypnotherapy, Association for Professional Hypnosis and Psychotherapy, National Register of Psychotherapists and Counsellors and the Complimentary and Natural Healthcare Council
10 Harley Street, London W1G 9PF
Tel: 020 7873 2051